Friday 24 February 2012

LAB ACTIVITIES - IMPROVING LISTENING & SPEAKING

A. Speak English Fluently - Rule 3

Watch the video and anwer the questions below


1.  What’s A. J. Hoge’s job in your opinion?  2.       What’s his “rule number three”?  3.       What is he giving advice/suggestions about?  4.  Why do non-native speakers,  who study English at school,  have troubles especially with their speaking?  5.  What do they learn at school, then?  6. Do native speakers (American, British, Canadian) know much about grammar? Why? Why not?  7.   How do they learn the language, then?  8.      A.J. Hoge suggests to start listening easy materials at first. What does he mean by easy?  9.    Does A. J. Hoge think it is possible to use something difficult to listen to? How? 10.   When and how much should you listen to English materials according to A. J.? 11.   What  do you think is the real aim of this video ? 12.   Do you think A.J. ‘s suggestions are good?  13.   How often do you  listen to English audio/video materials?  Do you think it helps you improve your  English?  

2 comments:

  1. These are great exercises you have here! I agree that you have to listen more than seeing and writing a second language. The only thing is if you were to listen to an American teenager, you might not follow easily with the accent and slang that even native speakers have trouble comprehending. You know what I mean? I notice that when I try to listen and understand Spanish in Mexico, I cannot, and when I visit Spain, I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as an Italian teacher of English, I know what the difficulties of my students might be in listening to bits of English. So I choose audio materials with different accents, but never too difficult to them. Teenagers' slang can be impossible to decipher in any language for an adult, for instance.
    I learn from them. I must ask when they use their favourite idioms. A quite recent acquisition in their slang here is "scialla" that you can't find in our official dictionary , but they always say it. It means "calm down/ slow down/ don't worry/ don't get excited/ take your time/ no hurry" in their vocabulary.
    You know, our teenagers' vocabulary gets poorer and poorer. They know very few words even in their mother-tongue and to teach them a foreign language is not an easy task. But I'm not fond of easy tasks, I like challenges. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete